Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Film, Literature and Culture

The English class that I’m taking this semester is Film, Literature and Culture. I really like the class so far, the writing that we do is a little bit less formal, and I think that is always an easier medium for me to work in. I have a hard time blending my opinions with research without using I.
Every class meeting though I find myself wanting to stand up and scream. Tonight we were starting to watch the movie for the book that we just read A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, and the discussion ran kind of long. So we kept talking. And talking. And people kept repeating things that has already been said by other students. I had already worked for six hours straight without a break and had only eaten an overpriced sandwich from Starbucks so at this point I was kind of done. (Usually by 6 pm on Wednesday I’m fighting a headache and am feeling stabby. And I’m still left with an hour of class to suffer through. ) Once we started watching the film, in the sweet, blissful dark, our instructor kept stopping it. I understand why, she wanted to explain the different scenes, and what they represented. It’s just really hard for me to watch movies in that way. If you keep stopping, I’m not focused, I’m waiting for you to stop the movie and talk again. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a notorious movie talker, but only when I’ve already seen the movie. Instead of having music on when I’m home alone, I put in a movie or tv show to keep me company. I find the taking soothing and I can better track the passing of time this way. Pieter thinks I’m crazy too.
Next week we get to meet the author of our book tho and that’s really exciting. She’s written two collections of short stories and I think that that might be a medium that I enjoy working in, since I love to read short stories so much. I need to actually think about what I plan to do with my English degree since I should be graduating soon. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment